Judge Marvin Henry Morse


On Feb. 11, Judge Marvin Henry Morse, 94, of Sarasota, FL, died peacefully with his family by his side. He was the beloved husband of Betty Anne Hess; devoted father of Martin Morse (Jennifer), Howard Morse (Laura Loeb) and Lee Anne Luing; and proud grandfather of Elizabeth and Marni Morse, Allison, Matthew, and Tyler Luing, and Ari Morse z”l.

Also survived by numerous cherished nieces, nephews and cousins. Marvin was the only son of the late Frank and Lillian Seeger Morse. Marvin was born July 19,1929, in Mount Vernon, NY, and attended the Bronx High School of Science.

He received an undergraduate degree from Colgate University and a law degree from Yale Law School. Marvin had a distinguished professional career. He served in the Air Force JAG (Judge Advocate General) Corps from 1952-56 and the Air Force Reserve, promoted to the rank of Colonel. He practiced law in Louisville, Kentucky, for several years after active duty, where he handled civil rights among other cases, including serving as co-counsel before the U.S. Supreme Court, representing “Shuffling Sam Thompson,” where the court found that arresting Sam for shuffling to music while waiting for a bus was a violation of due process.

Marvin moved his family to the Washington, D.C., area in 1962, and worked for the federal government for 40 years, first with the Department of the Navy and then the Defense Department, the General Services Administration and the U.S. Postal Service.

An expert in administrative law, he became an Administrative Law Judge in 1973 and served as a judge for the Federal Power Commission, the Postal Rate Commission, the Civil Aeronautics Board, the Small Business Administration and the Department of Justice Executive Office for Immigration Review.

For several years, he managed the government’s administrative law judge program for the Office of Personnel Management. In 1980, Marvin was elected a member of the American Law Institute. He was active for many years with the Federal Bar Association and served as its president from 1995 to 1996.

After retiring to Florida, Marvin volunteered for more than 20 years at the Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium, was a board member at Temple Beth Israel and was President of the Longboat Key Democratic Club.

Marvin loved to travel, returning from a cruise just weeks before he died. He enjoyed dining with friends but always said his wife Betty’s cooking was better than any restaurant. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Americans United for Separation of Church and State, Planned Parenthood of Southwest and Central Florida, and the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Never miss a story.
Sign up for our newsletter.
Email Address


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here