By Marc L. Caroff
Special to WJW
As a former patent law judge with intimate knowledge of the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights, I am appalled by the asymmetric political warfare being waged by the biased mainstream news media, including Washington Jewish Week, against President Donald Trump and his domestic and foreign policy decisions. That includes giving the Biden presidential campaign a free pass to pull the wool over the eyes of the American public.
The right to a free press implicitly includes the responsibility to apply standards of fundamental fairness in reporting the news. A few examples will suffice to illustrate my point:
1. China represents a grave threat to the U.S. in terms of its aggressive behavior, our overdependence on import of strategic resources from China, its espionage activities and stealing of our intellectual property, not to mention that China knowingly exported COVID-19 to the outside world. While the Trump administration is ably addressing all of these serious issues, the Obama-Biden administration was secretly engaged in making sweetheart deals with the Chinese Communist Party.
2. A large influx of illegal aliens across our southern border created a significant demographic problem, and contributed to a significant increase in crime as well as in drug and human trafficking. While President Trump is appropriately sealing the border, the Democratic Party is crying crocodile tears and advocating for open borders.
3. Anarchists are tearing at the fabric of our society across our nation by engaging in riots, arson, looting and acts of violence against civilians and police officers alike, aided and abetted by Antifa and Black Lives Matter activists. While the Trump administration is using all means at its disposal to quell the disturbances, left-wing democrats are using the tragic death of George Floyd as an excuse to exacerbate the mayhem by calling for “reimagining”; i.e., defunding the police and federal law enforcement agencies such as ICE. By doing so, these democrats undermine trust in our police and in our peerless system of justice.
4. An insidious movement is underway across our country to indoctrinate federal employees and students in our public schools and universities with the dogma of “critical race theory” and “systemic racism”; injecting racist anti-white concepts such as “white privilege” and “the 1619 Project” into our society in a sinister attempt to undermine the foundations of our constitutional Republic. Trump has begun to counter this threat; whereas progressive democrats are promoting it.
5. The Democratic Party is promoting use of unsolicited mail-in ballots in the upcoming presidential election. Republicans and others have incontrovertible documented evidence that this balloting procedure significantly increases the incidence of voter fraud and manipulation; the democrats and their media comrades simply ignore the facts.
6. President Trump has wisely rejected the Iran nuclear deal; whereas many democrats deride his decision, thereby covering up the Obama-Biden-Kerry administration’s double-dealing with the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Each of the above examples illustrates how democrats and biased left-wing news organizations distort and cover up the facts to deceive the public and increase the odds that Joe Biden will win the election.
Here we have a perfect instance of life imitating art. I refer to the 1962 award-winning film, “The Manchurian Candidate,” where the brainwashed American soldier-turned-assassin represents the American public duped by “progressive” members of the Democratic Party and biased news organizations; and where Joe Biden is the Manchurian candidate.
As Vice President Mike Pence observed in the recent vice presidential debate, “you [democrats and the news media] are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.” Neither are you entitled to distort the facts to comport with your radical agenda or give the public half the story. Fundamental fairness and impartiality are the true hallmarks of a free press.
Marc L. Caroff writes from Virginia Beach.