Forum

Changing society’s image of German Jewry: From ‘We vs. They’ to ‘Us’

We have always felt incredibly proud to be Jewish. From attending Jewish Day School for thirteen years, to celebrating our Judaism at our Conservative...

What is the traditional American Jew to do now?

I consider myself to be a traditional American Jew. I am neither Orthodox nor Reform. I have a good upbringing in Jewish tradition and...

To be Pro-Israel, We Need to Reaffirm, not Redefine

In a recent op-ed in the Washington Jewish Week, Rabbi Fred Scherlinder Dobb asserts that “it’s past time to redefine what ‘pro-Israel’ means’ as...

Silence is golden, or is it? It’s time to speak up

By Barbara Goldberg Goldman On the Sabbath just hours before Passover 2019 concluded, four members of the Poway, California Chabad synagogue were shot in cold...

Rockville’s Erik Willenz–A Life of Service to His Adopted Country America

The memories overflowed for me when the other day my wife and I attended the funeral at Arlington National Cemetery for my stepfather Erik...

Memories that haunt and heal

By Jeremy Kay For many of us, memory is a cherished companion.  We remember sayings from our elders, childhood explorations, loves gained and lost, and...

For Jewish Americans, the Holocaust Then and Now

By Saul Golubcow The special exhibit on “Americans and the Holocaust”  currently at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum asks: “What did the U.S. government and...

Powerful Paradigms: The Path Towards Extraordinary

Everything is Green?   Imagine you wake up one morning, and suddenly notice that your hands are green. As you pull off your blanket, you see...

Skiers from the Holy Land

Israel is not a country associated with alpine skiing, but the sport has gained popularity with Israelis as I found one winter in...

Lessons on Nurturing Our Inner Song

By Michael Milgraum Alma Deutcher is a thirteen-year-old musical genius, who lives in England. She began playing the piano at the age of two, followed...