1 cup Israeli couscous
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
4 tablespoons olive oil – divided
2 cups dried cranberries
1 English cucumber – diced fine
1 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup spring onions – white parts only – sliced fine
1 red onion medium – finely chopped
1 ounce cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest, fresh
1 shallot, minced
1 lemon, juiced
• In saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
• Add couscous and stir until the couscous is lightly browned.
• Add 2 cups broth, cover with lid and reduce to low. Simmer 15 minutes or until couscous has absorbed most of the liquid and is al dente. Drain in colander but don’t rinse. Cool couscous.
• Once cool toss with remaining olive oil, breaking up any grains.
• Chop all vegetables and place in large mixing bowl.
• Add the couscous and toss with lemon juice.
• Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
• If you like, add additional seasonal vegetables such as zucchini, butternut squash etc., chop them into small dice.