Here’s how they do sweet potatoes at Sunflower Bakery in Gaithersburg.
Yields 8-inch-by-8-inch casserole
3 large eggs
¾ cup or 6 ounces granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ cups or 12 ounces soy milk (may use rice milk or almond milk)
½ teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons, or 1 ½ ounces melted margarine
2 ½ cups of peeled, pureed (in a food processor or blender) roasted sweet potatoes, cooled
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place eggs, sugar, salt, spices in a tall container and blend using an immersion blender on low speed. You may also use a food processor or blender.
- Add melted margarine and cooled, pureed sweet potatoes.
- Stream in Soymilk and blend on low-medium speed until completely smooth.
- Pour batter into 8-inch-by-8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. This recipe can also be used for a pie. Use a 10-inch raw pie shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 45 minutes more. If convection, the oven should be on low fan for the second part of baking.
Pecan Streusel Topping
(This can be made nut-free. Omit the pecans if there is an allergy concern.)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon melted margarine
- Toss all ingredients together by hand and spread on lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Cool streusel and crumble.
- Sprinkle to lightly cover baked sweet potato casserole before serving.